SIPA and TIIP Advance Partnership through 2nd Semester of Course on System-level Investing
In July, The Investment Integration Project (TIIP) and the Sustainable Investing Research Initiative (SIRI) at Columbia SIPA announced a strategic partnership to advance the field of system-level investing and foster greater cross-disciplinary scholarship in the field. The partnership hopes to advance education, research, and dialogue on system-level investing with an aim toward driving progress on combatting climate change, biodiversity loss, social inequality, and global poverty, as well as meeting the other UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
The partnership will deepen the existing collaboration between SIRI and TIIP. In particular, Professor Caroline Flammer and TIIP CEO William Burckart jointly developed and co-taught the first-ever course on system-level investing at SIPA, which is open to all Columbia graduate students. The course will be available again this fall, adding SIRI Fellow and TIIP Advisory Council Member, Jon Lukomnik as the co-instructor. Lukomnik is a system-level investing leader, and the co-author of the book Moving Beyond Modern Portfolio Theory: Investing That Matters (Routledge, 2021).
Check out more about the partnership here.
Upcoming Thought Leadership
The coming months promise more big things from TIIP!
- Our next report on measuring the progress of system-level investing, which is supported with grant funding by the Tipping Point Fund for Impact Investing, will be published in late this year. We’re happy to offer “key findings and implications” info sessions for folks in our community when we get closer to the release. Email us if you’d like to organize such a conversation.
- New case studies on institutional investors that are integrating a system-level focus are also on the horizon, and we are in early days of planning for our next SAIL cohort (reach out let us know you’d like more details).
SAIL is a SaaS platform that provides practical tools, templates, guidance and deep research on systemic issues to help investors implement or refine system-level investment strategies with the goal of reducing costs, winning business, preserving long-term returns, and staying informed. SAIL is now open for subscribers. Ask us about our fall promotion!
In addition, beta users asked us to allow Benchmark to be used as a tool for internal due diligence, and we delivered!
Benchmark is SAIL’s marketing intelligence gathering tool to support effective due diligence. Managers fill out their “Investor Profile” at the request of asset owners and allocators, who can use the database to manage their managers as well as evaluate new potential relationships along the dimensions they care about, and over time.
Want to subscribe or receive a live demonstration? Contact TIIP at [email protected].
TIIP + Friends About Town
- TIIP CEO William Burckart will be speaking at PRI in Person 2023 – to be held in Tokyo, October 3-5, 2023 – at a session on “Responsible investors as system actors: What are the pathways for systemic impact?” The session will be moderated by Susheela Peres da Costa (Independent Consultant, The Stewardship Centre), and will include Emma Henningsson (Manager, Active Ownership, Seventh Swedish Pension Fund (AP7)), John Hoeppner (Head of US Stewardship and Sustainable Investments, Legal & General Investment Management America), Zak May (Executive Director – Strategy and Policy, IFM Investors), and Frederick Alexander (CEO, The Shareholder Commons).
- Monique Aiken, TIIP’s Managing Director, will be speaking at Cambridge Associates 9th Annual Impact Investing Forum taking place in Toronto, October 17-18, 2023. Kim Stanley Robinson, author of the best-selling novel, The Ministry for the Future, will be the other keynote speaker.
- As part of Climate Week NYC, William was a featured panelist for Race to Resilience: The Intersection of Racial Justice, presented by Gitterman Asset Management. The other featured speakers for the session included Jenna Nicholas, CEO, Impact Experience and Rachel Robasciotti, Founder and CEO, Adasina Social Capital.
- Monique gave the opening keynote speech at the WELL Summit on Monday, September 25th. Her speech, “Using Investor Influence to Change the World: How to Move Capital Toward Racial Justice” was called a “masterclass on system-level investing” explaining how racial inequity is a threat to the US economy and the financial system, and how flawed beliefs lead to vulnerable systems. The keynote was based on findings from TIIP’s Racial Inequity “Issue Brief” published in June. A summary of the remarks can be found here.
The Investment Integration Project (TIIP) is seeking a highly motivated and results-driven Commission-Based Salesperson to join our dynamic team. As a salesperson, you will play a crucial role in driving the growth and success of our Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) platform by acquiring new subscribers. This contract position offers a commission-based compensation structure, providing the opportunity to earn income based on your sales performance. If you are passionate about technology, care about making the world a better place, thrive in a fast-paced environment, and excel at building relationships, this role is an ideal fit for you.
The target clients for this product are asset owners (pension funds, endowments, foundations, family offices, sovereign wealth funds, insurance/reinsurance firms, etc.) or asset managers (public equity, private equity, fixed income, venture capital, etc.) interested in enhancing their impact, sustainable or responsible investing policies, programs and products.
You can see additional information about the position here.
Please submit your resume or CV and a cover letter detailing your relevant sales experience to [email protected]. Candidates should share why they believe they are the right fit for this commission-based sales role in the cover-letter. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for further evaluation.
April 18th Gathering Redux: William Burckart
On April 18th, 2023, TIIP hosted a gathering entitled “The Next Evolution in Finance: System-level Investing”. Over the coming months, we will feature video clips from the event.
In the below video, TIIP’s CEO, William Burckart, discusses what system-level investing is and why it’s important.