On April 18th, TIIP hosted an event with leaders in impact investing and sustainable finance to discuss the future of investing. The event featured remarks from leaders at TIIP, University Pension Plan, Saint Paul & Minnesota Foundation, Common Future, the U.S. Impact Investing Alliance and others at the forefront of the system-level investing movement. It also included a discussion of TIIP’s seminal report from 2022 on “Approaching the Tipping Point: Recommendations for building the marketplace for system-level investing”.
In addition, members of TIIP’s Racial Equity Working Group reported on key findings and implications from a body of work currently underway that is elevating racial injustice as a systemic risk on par with climate change. The research is also identifying associated leverage points in the system that can be utilized to advance toward shared intersectional equity goals.
System-level Investing Goes to Columbia University
As a part of the School of International and Public Affairs (SIPA) at Columbia University, TIIP CEO William Burckart is co-teaching a class on system-level investing with Professor Caroline Flammer (the founding director of the Sustainable Investment Research Initiative (SIRI) at Columbia). The course is covering the basics of system-level investing, why it is important, and how it can be harnessed to manage systemic risks and long-term performance.
TIIP friends and family such as Jon Lukomnik, Piers Hugh Smith, Steve Lydenberg, Jessica Matthews, Kilian Moote, Maguette Diop, and Rodney Foxworth are some of the field leaders joining the course to guest lecture.
Have suggestions for the reading list? Let us know by emailing Laura Wells at [email protected]!
Updates from the TIIP Community
- TIIP Racial Equity Working Group Co-Chair Renaye Manley is supporting Starbucks Workers United to push a pro-labor proposal at an upcoming shareholder meeting.
- Kieron Boyle, a member of the TIIP Advisory Council, was appointed the Chief Executive Officer of the Impact Investing Institute in the UK.
- TIIP Racial Equity Working Group Members Mahlet Getachew (PolicyLink) and Tynesia Boyea-Robinson (CapEq) are the principal authors of the newly released Investor Blueprint for Racial and Economic Equity, which outlines the powerful and essential role investors can play in championing racial and economic equity to create a more just society for all.
- Jon Lukomnik (a member of the TIIP Advisory Council) and Steve Lydenberg, the Founder and Chairman of TIIP, were named fellows of SIRI at Columbia University.
Monthly Systems Aware Investing Launchpad (SAIL) Updates
We added several new resources to the SAIL platform this month to help investors implement system-level investing strategies. These include:
- Guidance to help investors develop Statement of Investment Beliefs (SIBs) that lay the foundation for system-level investing approaches.
- Examples and templates of SIBs from two different investors: Domini Impact Investments and the University Pension Plan system.
These resources are included in the SAIL CoPractice, which is open and free to all thanks to the generous support of the Surdna Foundation, the Builders Initiative, and Humanity United.
Email [email protected] to learn more about how to join the platform and start your learning journey to becoming a system-level investor.